When I first changed to a plant based diet I thought I was going to miss chocolate so much! But it wasn’t until then that I realised what I had been missing out on! I used to love this saying but now I am eating REAL chocolate rather than the highly diluted stuff I used to call chocolate!
The added bonus is that there are so many health benefits of raw cacao. It’s an amazing antioxidant and one of the most nutritionally complex foods on the planet. It helps regulate blood sugar, can help lift moods, supports weight loss through reducing appetite and helps cardiovascular health among many other things.
I love Indigo Herbs organic raw cacao powder made from 80% Criolla Beans, 20% Forastero and Trinitario Beans. It’s so smooth and delicious.
That why I love using it in so many things I make. My top three are:
- Energy balls – the recipe for which is very simple and in my previous blog post “Quick on the go energy food.”
2. Power Porridge – perfect thing in the morning to set you up for the rest of the day.
- ½ cup (60g) Tesco free from pure oat muesli
- 2tbsp of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, goji berries & cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp. Indigo Herbs hemp protein powder
- 1 tbsp. Indigo Herbs organic raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp Indigo Herbs maca powder
- ½ tsp Indigo Herbs baobab powder
- Option fruit – I love adding passion fruit, raspberries, blueberries or all three!
Method (again very simple):
- Put everything except the fruit into a saucepan and cover with water
- Turn the heat on low and keep stirring until it starts to thicken up (if you added a bit too much water and it’s not thickening just add a few tsp. of chia seeds).
- Once it’s almost ready add the fruit and then it’s all good to eat
- Two bananas
- 1 avocado
- 4 dates
- 125ml Oatly oat milk
- 2 large tbs. Indigo Herbs raw organic raw cacao powder
Method (you guessed it nice and simple too):
- Put everything into a food processor (I love using the Nutribullet) and blend it all together.
- If you want it a bit runnier then add more oat milk
- If you make it a bit too runny then you can always thicken it up by leaving it in the fridge for a few hours or adding a tsp. or two of chia seeds.
- Optional add fruit on top!
I like to think I’m efficient and maybe a bit lazy when it comes to making food, but that what I love about being PlantBased, your food can be ready in minutes. I hope you enjoy making these delicious recipes and get your cacao fix!
Or just go straight to the source and eat raw chocolate, such as Indigo Herbs pure raw chocolate hand crafted bars. Even better news, if you head over to their Facebook page there is a chance to win 35x raw chocolates! Deadline is Dec 14th so you need to be quick!