Energy balls – perfect quick, on the go energy food.
- 200g any nut (almonds, cashews, walnuts ect)
- 400g dates (Medjool dates are the best)
- 4 tablespoons of Indigo Herbs raw cacao powder OR 2 tablespoons Indigo Herbs spirulina powder
- 3 tablespoons of nut butter (almond, peanut ect)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons of nut milk (almond, hazelnut ect)
- Desiccated coconut to roll them in
Method (very simple):
- Put all the nuts into a food processor and whizz for about 30 seconds or until they look as crushed up as you like them – so the crunchier you want the balls the less whizzing they need!
- Then pit the dates and add them and everything else in and blend away!
- You might have to spoon the mix off the side a few times to make sure it has all blended well. Or you can always add a bit more nut milk. However if you make the mix too wet, the balls will end up being a bit soft.
- Once your mix is nicely blended and sticky, just roll them out in balls and pop them in the freezer for an hour or so to set and then store them in the fridge. I like to roll them in desiccated coconut, as it tastes delicious and stops them all sticking to each other!
- If you want a bit more of a superfood protein hit to your balls then you use the above recipe but switch out the raw cacao powder for spirulina powder. If you haven’t heard of spirulina before it’s a natural algae powder that is incredibly high in protein, the essential amino acids and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. It’s also extremely high in chlorophyll, which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system. So you might end up with not so pretty green balls (appearance is improved when rolled is desiccated coconut) but they are delicious and extremely good for you! I get my spirulina powder from Indigo Herbs of Glastonbury: http://www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/shop/buy/organic-spirulina-powder as it’s amazing quality, organic and contain only 100% pure botanical ingredients.